This luxurious Italian dessert, combines the best of both worlds! It’s a cross between a cannoli pastry, (using ricotta cheese, vanilla, cinnamon, and citrus) and tiramisu (using mascarpone and heavy cream sweetened with a touch of honey and shaved chocolate).
Cannoli pastry is typically deep fried so using baked Pizzelle waffle cookies and strawberries allows for a lighter and easier version that can be made rather quickly. It’s a great make ahead dip for entertaining as the flavours come together nicely after sitting in the refrigerator. I used natural, local honey instead of refined sugar. Fresh orange and lemon zest were used instead of candied fruit. Natural vanilla and cinnamon gives it a lovely flavour.
Ricotta and mascarpone cheese are both low in sodium. Light ricotta can be substituted for regular. Ricotta cheese is a good source of protein and helps in the absorption of calcium and vitamin B. Mascarpone cheese is a concentrated source of the nutrients found naturally in milk, including calcium. It has a large amount of other essential nutrients such as phosphorus, zinc, riboflavin, vitamin B 12 and vitamin A. It’s a dense source of high-quality protein.
Serve alongside any of your favourite cookies, and assorted fresh fruit as a gluten-free alternative. Mini chocolate chips and or unsweetened cocoa can also be used as toppings. Pecans, hazelnuts or almonds would also work as a garnish.
- ½ c. 35% M. F. whipping cream
- 1½ tsp. natural vanilla extract
- 1 c. Ricotta Cheese
- ½ c. Mascarpone Cheese
- ¼ c. Crerar’s Natural Ontario Honey
- ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- ½ tsp. orange zest
- 1 x 200g. pkg. Reko Pizzelle, Italian Waffle Cookies in Anise or Chocolate
- 2-3 tbsp. Wonderful Pistachios, roasted, unsalted, chopped
- 2 squares Perugina Premium Milk or Dark Chocolate Bar, cut into fine shavings
- Fresh strawberries
- In a chilled stainless steel mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla to the whipped cream.
- In a separate bowl, whip the ricotta, mascarpone and honey with an electric mixer until smooth. Add cinnamon, lemon and orange zest.
- Fold whipped cream into the ricotta and mascarpone mixture.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Garnish with chocolate shavings and chopped pistachios.