Pollo Alla Contadina
This is a peasant’s dish, a rustic Italian style of cooking. Simple, fresh ingredients that a farmer typically has on hand, like a chicken or rabbit, and assorted seasonal garden vegetables and herbs. Red or white wine is often used, but you could substitute for chicken stock if you wish. Every region in Italy has variations of the types of vegetables used including peppers and mushrooms. In Sicily, green cracked olives are used.
Chicken contains up to 32 grams of protein per 100 grams. Chicken is one of the leanest protein sources of high quality protein making it simple to achieve your daily nutritional needs. Chicken is full of nutritious protein, micronutrients like niacin, phosphorous, B6, B12, Vitamin D. calcium, iron and zinc.
- 1 (1.7kg/3.7 lbs.) air chilled, broiler chicken, skin on, cut into 8 pieces
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ c. extra virgin olive oil
- 8 sm. red skin potatoes, halved
- 1 carrot, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ lg. white onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lg. garlic clove, cut into sm. pieces
- ½ yellow pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ orange pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tomatoes (San Marzano canned) plus 3 tbsp. of its juice
- 1 pkg (227g) or ½ lb. brown mushrooms, quartered or halved
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh sage leaves
- 1 c. dry white wine
- ¼ c. water
- Zest of 1 lemon (optional garnish)
- ¼ c. green cracked olives (optional garnish)
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oil in a heavy bottomed skillet on the stove until hot. Cook the chicken on both sides until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside on a dish.
- Add the potatoes to skillet and cook until lightly browned.
- Add carrot, onions, celery and garlic, cook about 5-10 min.
- Add peppers and mushrooms, continue cooking until vegetables are nicely browned. Season vegetables with a little salt and pepper.
- take your tomatoes and squash with your hands, add them along with their juice to the skillet. Cook for about 10 min.
- Return the chicken to skillet, add wine and water. The liquid should cover about half of the chicken and vegetables. Scrape bottom of pan with a spoon, cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low for approximately 40 min, add fresh herbs about half way through cooking.
- Garnish with lemon zest, olives and extra fresh herbs to finish.