The earthiness and richness of the olive oil blends perfectly with the sweetness of the oranges.This unique salad is famous on the isle of Sicily where oranges and fennel grow in abundance and go naturally well together. It is rich in Vitamin C (since a little of the pith has been left on), fibre, folate potassium and antioxidants.
- 4 oranges, hand peeled, sliced into rounds, leave a little pith for extra vit. C
- 1 orange, cut in half and juiced (optional)
- 1 medium fennel, halved and thinly sliced (reserve fronds for garnish)
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, sliced thinly into rounds
- 1 small container of black olives, approx. 20
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper (optional)
(SERVES APPROX. 4 PEOPLE)
- Arrange 5-7 orange rounds on each plate.
- Add sliced fennel, red onion, and top with 5 olives.
- Put olive oil in a plastic squeeze bottle and drizzle on top of the salad.
If using fresh orange juice, you can add it to the squeeze bottle as well and shake gently before drizzling on salad. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper if you wish.