Turkey & Bean Tacos
Mexican food has always been one of our family’s favourite go-to home meals. There are so many fresh and healthy options you can add to your tacos like beans and fresh vegetables. Adding beans to the mixture gives you extra protein and fibre and stretches your portions. I like to substitute Astro’s Athentikos Greek yogourt instead of sour cream. It’s so rich and creamy with the added benefit of being high in protein and containing active bacterial cultures. You can make your tacos as mild or as spicy as you like. My favourite find recently, at Farmer’s Pick, has been the La Tortilla Factory artisanal tortillas from Sonoma County, California. They are GMO and hydrogenated oil free, handmade style, white and yellow corn tortillas with wheat and are also available in gluten free (Ancient Grain: Ivory Teff, tapioca and brown rice).
Turkey is a very healthy and nutrient rich meat. It is high in protein, zinc, phosphorous and tryptophan. It has less saturated fat and cholesterol making it low in calories. It contains trace minerals like selenium thought to aid in cancer prevention. It is high in both Vitamin B3 or Niacin and B6. I’ll bet you’ll find it hard to tell the difference taste-wise, between ground beef and turkey!
Making your own taco seasoning is not only cost effective but tastes better! You avoid the added preservatives, colour and sodium often found in store bought packages. If you choose to buy the store bought seasoning packages, look for ones lower in salt and without artificial colours and hydrogenated oils.
- 2 tbsp. L’Albero Vecchio, unfiltered extra virgin olive oil
- ½ c. diced medium yellow onion
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1lb. extra lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp. sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ c. GiGi organic strained tomatoes (in glass jar)
- 1 can Unico pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pkg. La Tortilla Factory Corn and Wheat or Gluten Free Tortillas
MEXICAN SEASONING MAKES APPROX. 5 TBSP. (2 RECIPES)
MAKES APPROX. 5 TBSP. – ENOUGH FOR 2 RECIPES
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. cayenne
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
SUGGESTED TACO TOPPINGS
- Astro Athentikos Greek Yogourt
- Cholula Original or Chipotle Hot Sauces
- Herdez Green Salsa
- Diced avocado
- Small diced vine ripened tomatoes
- Small diced red or green onions
- Fresh lime juice
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Thin radish slices
- Small diced, fresh jalapeño peppers
- Coastal shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro leaves
Mix all the spices together and store in a glass jar for future uses. Works well on other meats, fish, and potatoes.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over med-high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook until softens but do not brown.
- Add turkey to frying pan and break up meat with the side of a wooden spoon. Cook until meat is cooked through, approximately 3-5 min.
- Add salt, pepper and 2 tbsp. of Mexican seasoning and toss well to coat. Add tomato sauce and cook until slightly thickened.
- Add beans and cook a few minutes until desired consistency.
- Serve taco mixture warm alongside taco shells that have been slightly warmed in a frying pan. Keep taco shells warm in a covered taco holder.
- Serve tacos alongside an assortment of your favourite toppings.