Our shipment of fresh, local, Ontario zucchini has arrived at Farmer’s Pick! I hope you enjoy my classic yet simple recipe for “zucchini fritti” as much as our family did growing up! Zucchini are an excellent source of manganese, vitamin C and fibre. They also contain vitamin A, magnesium, folate, potassium, copper and phosphorous. These zucchini are shallow fried in grape seed oil however, for an even lighter version, you could also spray them with oil and bake them in the oven until browned. Serve with a sprinkle of sea salt, lemon or your favourite dipping sauce.
- 5 medium Ontario zucchini , cut into ¼” rounds
- ½ c. unbleached wheat flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- ¾ c. grape seed oil
- Lemon wedges as garnish
- Trim ends off of zucchini, cut into ¼” rounds.
- Season flour with sea salt and black pepper.
- Use a clean, dry produce or large ziplock bag, add seasoned flour and 1/3 of zucchini rounds. Toss the zucchini in the flour bag until well coated. Shake off any excess flour from the zucchini. Continue this process until all zucchini are floured.
- Dip the floured zucchini into the egg mixture until both sides are coated. Shake off any excess egg from the zucchini.
- Heat grape seed oil (I used a cast iron pan) in a fry pan over med high heat. Test one zucchini in the oil to ensure the oil is hot enough before frying .
- Fry zucchini in small batches careful not to overfill fry pan. Adjust and lower temperature if splattering occurs. Fry zucchini until golden brown, flip once with a fork. Remove from oil and gently shake off any excess oil.
- Arrange cooked zucchini on a large platter lined with either a flattened brown paper bag (my favourite as it helps to maintain crispiness) or paper towel to absorb oil.
- Taste for seasoning and add a little sea salt if necessary before serving. Garnish with lemon wedges.